Monday, May 20, 2013

Eggplant Sumac

So when you think about Sumac I'm pretty sure you think of the poisonous stuff. But let me take your taste buds to different place. Sumac is normally used in Middle Eastern dishes; such as,  dips and different meat dishes. I used it for the first time with Andouille Sausage this time. When I first found Sumac it was at my favorite spice store called, The Savory Spice Shop in South End Charlotte, NC. It's a great place.When I first smelled Sumac it made me think of an interested twist on pork BBQ. It's lemony, tart, mildly sweet, red-brownish in color. Something tantalizing!

Ingredients:
Skillet
Olive Oil
Eggplant
Onion
Garlic Clove
Andouille Sausage
Ground Smoked Paprika
Herbed Sea Salt (spice grinder)
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Basil
Mueller's Pasta or Rice
Instructions:
Cut Eggplant & Onion & sausage into slices . Smoosh garlic clove, and add 2 TBSP Olive oil to skillet. Add eggplant, onion and sausage to skillet. Put heat on Med-Hi if you want a bit of brown cruchiness on sausage or Med if you just want it to cook. Add 1 tsp ground smoked paprika, grind herbed sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, 1-1.5 tsp sumac and some dashes of basil. I love basil. I normally just shake spices until I feel like it smells right. But I tried to gauge the sumac and ground smoked paprika. Feel free to add more if you feel it needs more but please mix what you have to get hot before you add more to get the tastes right.
Cook pasta or rice and add veggie mixture to which ever one you would like to star in your night. It's super tasty!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment